Code of Safe Working Practices for Merchant Seafarers; New Edition
The UK MCA has published a revised Code of Safe Working Practices for Merchant Seafarers, which is attached here.
Changes are: - the title which reflects appropriate terminology.
- increased emphasis on practical guidance rather than legislation
- improved guidance on risk assessment *hurrah*
- simplified guidance on permits to work
- enclosed space entry revision
- new section on safety culture, fatigue and ergonomics
- revised section on vessels serving oil and gas
Sadly, what has not changed is that there is no reference to yachts, nor a yacht specific section. I did ask. A cynic might suggest that there could be more seafarers exposed on Red Ensign yachts than ro-ro ferries who have their own section. Nonetheless, rather than focus on the negative aspect of this for our sector, there is a lot of extremely useful information here.
We would request that Captains of Watkins managed yachts make this available to all crew members. We are under no illusion that many will be reading this for the first time and we would ask for positive encouragement.
Hard copies will be dispatched in due course, other than those with managed charts & publications outfits, where new editions should be sent automatically.
Please contact us if you have any comments.